Students are expected to dress in a way that promotes a safe and non-distracting learning environment where all students are able to achieve at their highest potential. The personal appearance of every student is an important step toward furthering excellence and better preparing our students for college, careers, and life as adults.
- All clothing should be clean, in a good state of repair, and fit properly–no frayed ends or cutoffs, no holes in clothes, no clothing that is excessively baggy or tight.
- Students are required to wear shoes at all times. Slippers are not permitted.
Abusive, suggestive or profane language, symbols of illegal drugs, or any other words, symbols or slogans that disrupt the learning environment may not be worn on clothing or as jewelry.
- Pants must be worn at the waist or showing clothing beneath the main outerwear.
Shorts/skirts must be below the fingertips when standing erect with shoulders relaxed. This means that shorts, skirts and dresses (including all slits, holes and rips) must come to the mid-thigh. Wearing leggings beneath the shorts/skirts does not change this rule.
- No shirts exposing the stomach (when standing or sitting), being excessively tight, see-through or low-cut in the front or in the back.
- Excessively tight pants such as yoga pants or “Jeggings” will NOT be worn unless your shirt/sweater is fingertip length.
- Cut-off shirts, shirts with obscene messages, midriffs, tank tops (with straps less than three-finger/2-inch width), racerback tanks exposing the bra, basketball jerseys, tops with spaghetti straps, halter tops, clothing with holes and rips above fingertip length.
- Headgear (scarves, bandannas, headbands, stocking caps, hoods, hats, towels, sunglasses, doo-rags, and combs.)
If not properly dressed, students will be asked to change, call home for clothes, report to detention and/or be sent home. Exceptions for religious affiliation must be reviewed and permitted by the Director.
In order to foster a clean and safe environment Marvin Academy requires that all students wear proper clothing for Physical Education. Students can either change before class or can wear their gym clothes all day.
The proper clothing that should be worn to Physical Education is as follows:
- Athletic shorts (No pockets or belt loops)
- Sweat pants or Wind Pants
- Sweat shirt without strings or pockets
- Sneakers with laces or Velcro
- No jewelry should be worn during PE class
Clubs and Activities
At Marvin Academy, students are offered a variety of opportunities to get involved in the life of the school. Whether their interests lie in arts, athletics, academic enrichment or community service, finding activities that complement these interests is easy. From after-school enrichment lessons, peer tutoring opportunities, working on a community service project, participating in a special interest club, or sharing their talents in one of our school performances, there is something for every student on the Marvin campus!
All students may choose from a variety of clubs. The clubs meet during lunch or immediately after school 2-4 times a month. Students with an interest in a particular area may either initiate or join a club at any time during the year. The list of clubs below are examples of the options available depending on student requests. Students may initiate new clubs that reflect their particular interests throughout the year after receiving approval.
- Key Club
At Marvin we believe in empowering the students to take leadership in their educational experience. This includes but is not limited to the student council. Students are able to share ideas, interests, and concerns with the school leaders and help raise funds for school activities and needs.
Students are welcomed to get involved with creating and designing the school yearbook. Sections of the yearbook include photos from the a student's perspective.